At Topstep, individuals fully assume their role and are responsible for generating meaningful results. We are working quickly and continuously optimizing our products to reach more and more traders around the world.
We are a small but growing technology team that relies heavily on each member to contribute every step of the development process, from requirements gathering to development and feedback. We like to think of “problems” as opportunities, and we have plenty of opportunities this year! This role is exciting because you will be in control of what you do, from making recommendations that help us evolve our technology, to improving our product by creating developmental and emotional tools for our traders. You will gain significant exposure to our customer app, part of which we plan to completely redesign this year. If you enjoy working across departments and having insight and influence over decisions, you’ll love this opportunity. The successful candidate will also have a genuine enthusiasm for entrepreneurship and be able to excel in a fast-start, high-energy start-up environment.
Qualified applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Qualified applicants will not need an employer-sponsored work authorization, now or in the future, for employment in the United States. Please note that we may not be actively interviewing for this position at the moment, so you may not hear from us for a while. We plan to grow our technical team significantly this year and have found it beneficial to be constantly open to applications.
Excited about this opportunity? Read on, keeping in mind that we strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring a different perspective, and we are always keen to further diversify our business. Topstep believes that the diversity of people and ideas translates into better business, and we are committed to fostering an inclusive culture where you can thrive.
The role, with everything you expect …
- The software engineer position is an ideal opportunity to join a team that has a direct impact on the priorities of our company at the highest level.
- The role is also ideal for candidates who wish to help advance our technology and shape the culture of our technical team.
- You will work with our product team in an agile manner to determine the feasibility of new features
- This is a great opportunity to learn more about the trading industry and financial markets without the pressure of working there directly.
- You can also learn more about how a small business operates and makes decisions. We are truly transparent about everything from leadership decisions to tracking numbers
The ideal candidate
- Experience with API design and integration. We love REST and building well-designed APIs
- Strong knowledge of databases. Understand how to interact with a database, write queries, design models and best practices associated with the database
- Familiarity with CI / CD. We try to build and deploy as often as possible, so it’s important to understand the basics of CI / CD
- AWS or a similar experience in the Cloud is a definite plus; please apply even if you don’t!
- Familiarity with software engineering design patterns and best practices. Not only do you know the fundamentals and can write amazing code, you understand and can recommend best practices and common design patterns.
- The spirit of initiative is crucial. We do not pass on perfect datasheets and expect them to be completed as written. We need your input, your recommendations and your initiative
- Communication skills. You like to think about the best ways to solve the problems we are working on, so you must have the ability to clearly communicate those ideas
- Open-minded and collaborative. Being open to using different tools and wanting to work closely together as a team is essential for your happiness and success here.
- Ability to demonstrate discretion and critical thinking. One of the values of our company is “Empowered People Bring Great Results”, so we are looking for someone who is willing to learn and grow.
The best advantages
- Competitive salary and incentive bonuses
- 401 (k) plus match, to help you plan your future
- Generously paid family leave, plus a flexible ramp-up period on return and additional PTO days
- Access to senior leadership and mentoring opportunities
- The monthly Innovation Labs team, which contributes to long-term strategic decisions
- Holiday bonus, when you take off 5 consecutive days to fully check in
- #TopstepTravel, a semi-regular raffle for luxury accommodation in a variety of cities
- Professional development budget, earmarked for continuing education, training and workshops
- The Work from Anywhere policy, to respond to a constantly changing work climate
- Flexible schedule options, including 4 weekday and half day Friday work schedules
- Employee Assistance Program, when you need professional support in your personal life
- Future [back] Coming soon: Company evenings and outings, happy hour and catered lunches, breakfast and snack bar
- Future [back] Coming soon: Annual company-wide day, a day dedicated to giving back to our community
- Graceful leave policy
- Relaxed work environment and dress code
- Summer Friday hours (flexible)
- Opportunities to work from home in Illinois
- Pre-tax expense accounts, for your health care and dependent needs plus transportation
- Paid time off (starting at 15 days, increasing each year), plus paid public holidays, paid sick days and paid volunteer hours
- Medical, dental, vision, life, long-term and short-term disability insurance
Is Topstep right for you? If so, apply today! We look forward to hearing from you.
TopstepTrader is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate on the basis of race, sex, age, disability or any other basis protected by law.